Tuesday 16 August 2011

Brothers, sisters-in-law, and sisters-in-law squared?


I’ve already kind of covered the part where this wedding feels weird because it’s my sibling being decidedly grown up, and that’s just a little unsettling, but I haven’t covered the part where, because he’s my sibling, not just a friend, I now get a whole load of extra family. Which is awesome, because I love family (awwwww). Obviously I recognise that some families function differently to others, and that some aren’t exactly brimming with happiness, fluffiness and goodwill for all, but I seem to have been blessed with a rather sweet deal, family-wise. And I’m increasingly discovering that this extends to the new family that I’m gaining tomorrow as well.
As today was the day before the day, there was a pretty full schedule of things that needed doing, from cleaning the church to decorating cupcakes. But unlike most things involving my family, it was really well organised, with us all split into teams with a list of tasks so we all knew what we needed to do and how to do it. Amazing. Even more amazing though was how welcomed into the home of our new family we all felt. You hear nightmare stories of monstrously problematic in-laws and such things, but there was nothing even vaguely resembling such a figure. Only warmth and welcome.
To be honest, I was probably the most problematic person by a long shot, because I managed to be rather ill this morning, which sucked for me, but meant that my team, consisting of me and the bride’s sister, Cat, was reduced from two to one, and Cat’s workload was doubled. But they refused to let me feel as if I was letting the side down (despite the fact that I clearly was), and Cat soldiered on while Laura, the bride, set me up in her own bed upstairs with a sick bucket. Not exactly bridezilla and the terrifying in-laws.
And the story gets better. Having slept for most of the morning, I was feeling a little better, and was well enough by the afternoon to go with Cat to a friend’s house whom she was going to be pet-sitting for over the next week so she needed to pick up the house-key. And we’re not just talking about your standard pets; this friend has not only a cat, two guinea pigs and some fish, but a pair of ridiculously cute tortoises. As Cat drove us to their house, my excitement about a pair of pet tortoises grew to levels probably higher than is rational, but it fit with the day and with the joy of not feeling so sick anymore.
We spent about an hour or so at the friend’s house, just hanging out, chatting, and of course being introduced to all the animals; happy times. We also managed to forget to collect the key that we went to collect in the first place, so Cat’s friend had to drop it round later, but hey - there’s only so many things you can remember in the presence of tortoises. After having spent some good, relaxing time with the tortoises, I felt pretty much completely better and was able to contribute to the work of our team again in the evening. The conclusion I came to from this was that tortoises have magical healing powers.
Before long, my brothers and my parents went back to the house that they were staying at and left me here as part of the bridal party. It was strange saying ‘bye’ to them, knowing that the next time I would see them would be at the actual wedding. I remember thinking, ‘I’m glad he’s marrying into this family’.
We all got takeaway pizza and Laura, Cat and I practiced make-up for the big day. Well, Cat practiced putting it on me because, as I may have mentioned, I’m not exactly an expert with the stuff. We tried to work out what the terms of our relationship are: clearly Laura and I will be sisters-in-law, and obviously Laura and Cat are already sisters, so Cat and I are…..sisters-in-law squared? That’s what we decided, anyway.
A good day; mental, but good. And now to try and sleep before what will, no doubt be an absolutely manic but awesome day tomorrow. Hah.

No comments:

Post a Comment