Wednesday 3 August 2011

Borrowed, blue, old.....?

            My eldest brother’s getting married on Saturday. How about that for a sense of the surreal!? So, the little boy who’s in the photo holding me while I scream as a baby, the boy who stole some of those breaded chicken wings we had as kids (which probably were not wings, now that I think about it…should I be outraged by that particular deception?) from my plate causing absolute uproar, the boy who I went on strike against as we waged war over how much he should pay me to help him with his paper round, the boy who made speeches full of righteous indignation about the evils of dog poo or of unbuttered bread in the presence of buttered bread….he’s going to be someone’s husband. The boy who frequently freaked me out by doing that-grown-up-thing, be it learning to drive, getting a job, going to uni…he’s apparently going to carry on to be a man who does the same thing by getting married. Freaky.
            But very, very awesomely cool. It’s hard to describe quite why or how it makes me this happy that he’s going to be this happy, but it does. Which is also pretty cool. What else is awesome, is that this is probably going to be the most exciting event of my year, and in a year that includes graduating from university, turning 21, and hopefully *really, really hopefully* getting my first paid job, that’s fairly impressive.
            It does build the pressure a little though – I’ve just been packing because I’m being picked up to go to the wedding rehearsal later this afternoon and then we’re all going to stay at a friend’s house nearby, so I need to have everything that I’m going to need for my role as a bridesmaid. Now, I have been known to forget things that I really need before, so there’s a sound in the back of my mind, reminiscent of an annoying high pitched whurrry thing, that I think is the mental-me running around in circles screaming ‘Don’t forget anything! Don’t forget anything! Don’t forget anything!’, which unsurprisingly isn’t actually very helpful.
            But I think I’ve got everything….

No comments:

Post a Comment