Friday 9 September 2011

See my cunning disguise…


I just got back from my first ever job interview. I think that certainly at least gets me points for effort on the ‘growing up’ thing. It was kind of strange; I sat waiting in the waiting room (as you do) chatting to the receptionist (as you do), and every now and then I’d remember that this was an actual job interview for an actual job which would pay me an actual salary with actual money. Woah.
I don’t know whether it’s just my brain being a little bit backward on this issue, or if it’s normal for the prospect of being paid to be this shocking for a first time employee. Hmmm. This stumbling block for my brain isn’t exactly helping me feel as grown up as I’m supposed to be acting though, which is a little unfortunate, but so far I seem to have been able to fool those who need to be fooled into thinking I’m very mature, sensible, and entirely capable of dealing with positions of responsibility.
            I think the actual interview went ok, though who ever knows really how these things have gone until after they’ve been told. I made a concerted effort to look the part of serious-business-Rachel which, if you know me, is pretty unheard of. I was fully suited and booted (well, skirted, bloused and high-heeled….doesn’t quite have the same ring does it?), and about as far from my norm as it’s possible to be, but I guess there’s a first time for everything. I even managed the entire twenty-five minute walk home in my heels, although I will admit to having walked there in flip flops, which I then proceeded to stash in my bag just before I arrived and substituted them for some more appropriate serious-business-footwear. That got me some odd looks from passers by. I think the comfort of something as familiar as odd looks from passers by may have actually helped calm me down from the point of nervous explosion. Thank you, o bemused passers by.
Well, the next interview is on Wednesday (unless I get called back by Capital One Promotions before then *eek*), so I think I can relax for a few days now before I must resume my cunning disguise….

2 comments:

  1. Wait, Capital One Promotions? My brother just had a job with them, if this is the same thing, AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, really? well that's unfortunate :/ oh well, the other interview is a differrent company - hopefully they'll be nicer:) thanks for the warning jamibu:)

    ReplyDelete